Track My Weight!

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Monday, January 10, 2011

What's the Big Deal?

I've been an advent lurker of hair blogs, hair forums, and youtube for several year now. Its seems like the same issue comes up at least 2 or 3 times a month. A transitioning or newly natural diva is catching grief about her hair decision from the ones who claim to love her the most.  I just don't understand the big deal. When I decided to stop getting relaxers, no one around me seemed to be bothered by my decision. It was basically business as usual.

What's disheartening to me is, it seems that women are having the most problems from their own mothers. I always have to take a deep breath simply shake my head when reading these stories or watching these video. I always thought that your mother should be your biggest supporter whether they agree with your decision or not...well, at least that's how it was in my case.

While I was transitioning my mother was my hair's saving grace. She took the time to teach me how to cornrow, flat twist, roller set, rod set, straw curls, comb/finger coils...she's a licensed cosmetologist. I never took interest in learning to do these things before because I simply washed, conditioned, blow dried, flat ironed, and wrapped weekly.  I'm not saying that my mom was my personal little AMEN corner, because if something was not right with my hair she quickly spoke up, like always, that's how I knew her concerns were genuine.  It was her way of "saving me from the world" as she so gracefully put it.

I know I went off on a tangent, but back to my original thoughts. I've always wondered why so many people believe they have the right to push their opinion about acceptable hair texture or practices on others.  There's nothing wrong with expressing your concerns if something seems out of order, but do so in a tactful and loving manner.

To all my transitioning and natural sisters out there, please don't be discouraged by the Negative Nancys and Pessimist Pauls in your life.  Continue to embark on your journey. Embrace every kink, curl, wave, or mixtures of the aforementioned textures you have on your beautiful head. Every head of hair is different and makes each of us uniquely human.


Live...Laugh...Love

No comments:

Post a Comment