I recently found out that a few of my friends are transitioning at the moment. One of them asked me for some tips that helped me through my transition. These are the things that I shared with her;
1. Make sure you keep your hair moisturized, especially at the line of demarcation (where the relaxed and natural hair meet). This is the weakest part of hair, and where most breakage occurs.
2. Get a good leave-in conditioner, rinse-out conditioner, and deep conditioner. You don't have to spend a lot of money on them. Look for key words like moisturizing or some equivalent.
3. If you experience a lot of shedding and/or moisture overload. Try a light protein treatment such as Aphogee 2 min every 6 weeks or so. The Aphogee 2 step may be too strong. Be sure to do a moisturizing deep conditioning treatment after the protein treatment.
4. Comb/detangle hair with a wide tooth comb, starting from the ends to the roots. This helps cut down on breakage.
5. If you comb your hair dry, try doing it in smaller sections.
6. Instead of using hair grease, try some natural oils or butters such as olive oil, coconut oil, castor oil, or shea butter.
7. If you decide to straighten, make sure to use a heat protectant to avoid heat damage.
8. Check out youtube and some natural hair blogs such as, curlynikki.com, strawberricurls.com,maneandchic.com, and confessionsofablogvixen.com for styling tips.